Monday, October 20, 2014

Spectacles



Finding 19th century eyewear that is not only period correct, but also prescription can be extremely difficult and costly. If you are lucky enough to find spectacles that are period correct they can run up to $300.00 or more and in most cases are not covered by any 21st century healthcare plan.

I am lucky enough to have a healthcare plan that covers most of the cost on both lens and frames. In the past I have searched for period spectacles, which I found either as antiques or modern versions touted as so-called replicas. I made due with some spectacles that sort of kind of looked period, but I was never quite satisfied.

Recently I found the Historic Eyewear Company and this company has the real deal. Their frames are ophthalmic quality, prescription ready, historically accurate models of original antique spectacles. Historical Eyewear Co. offers frames from ranging from 1835 to 1895 that are octagon, oblong, and large and small oval all which come in colors that simulate gold, silver, blued steel used in the originals. They are designed to accommodate both prescription and nonprescription lenses of any power or correction, suitable for reading, distance, bifocals, progressive lenses, sunglasses and nonprescription colored lenses.

On their website they have a list of “Spectacle Merchants” across the United States and in Europe or you can buy clear plastic or readers right from their site. I was lucky and they had a merchant nearby in my state and my insurance would cover most of the cost of the lens and frames. I chose the octagon Tombstone Silver Dust frames

I had my spectacles within three days of placing the order and I purchased the 1800's metal flip-top spectacle case along with them. You can’t be too careful after all. They were easy to adjust and fit better than any spectacles I had ever had before. They are very durable and they look and feel authentic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment