Monday, October 13, 2014

Where do you get your clothes?



Where do you get your clothes?
The biggest question I get asked is, where do you get your clothes? Normally I give the simple answer of, on the internet. While this is true it is not the full story. There are several internet venders where I can buy varying quality clothing.  I purchase clothing from the middle spectrum to the high. I do this because I need clothing for my job, outdoors, daily use, and for fancy dress. 

Merchants                            
I purchase my clothing primarily from three retailers and three specific brands. Each retailer and/or brand varies in price and quality. However do not let a lower price fool you on quality. I have purchased some inexpensive items that were of extremely high quality. Bellow I will discuss each in detail.

Pricing Guide                                                                          Quality Guide
$ = Low                                                                                  Q = Low
$$ = Moderate                                                                        QQ = Moderate
$$$ = High                                                                              QQQ
= Exceptional

River Junction Trading Company 312 Main St, McGregor, IA 52157 (563) 873-2387
http://www.riverjunction.com/      $$ - $$$           QQQ

River Junction "Dandy Suit"
From their website;
River Junction Trade Company was founded in 1973, making it the oldest company of its kind still in business today.  We produce 19th century dry goods with a strong emphasis on the Old West.  In 2013 we will be celebrating our 40th year of servicing the historic, re-enactment industry with our 19th century dry goods business.  Linda and I and our great sales team look forward to many, many more great years to be had in this business.

River Junction sells a high quality product that is perfect for 1850 through to the end of the Victorian period. I have purchased shirts, a full suit, hats, and accessories from them. They have two types of suits, the Sack Suit and the Dandy. The Sack Suit works well for the 1850s – 60s look and the Dandy fits well for the post post-bellum period on to the turn of the century. 

They also make excellent hats. I own one, the High Derby in brown wool felt. One of the the best hats I have ever purchased. Each hat is hand styled by Jim Boeke who has been shaping hats for over 37 years.

Wild West Mercantile 7302 E. Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85207 (800) 596-0444
http://www.wwmerc.com       $ - $$           QQ
Wild West Mercantile is a catchall for old west clothing and accessories. They sell many different brands some made in the USA and others made overseas. The brands I buy are Wah Maker, Rangwear, and Frontier Classics. Both Wah Maker and Rangwear are manufactured by Scully Leather of California. The Wah Maker brand is 100% made in the USA and is of a better quality than both the Rangewear and Frontier Classics brands; however I do recommend all three brands.

Gentleman’s Emporium San Jose, California
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/      $ - $$           QQ
Gentleman’s Emporium is strictly an E-commerce company. They provide goods and services to Victorian, old west and 19th century re-enactors, performers, and living history enthusiasts through their websites. Gentleman’s Emporium has been online since 2003, and the Gentleman's Emporium brand has been in family operation since 1995.

Gentleman’s Emporium sells goods from Scully leather, which includes Wah Maker and Rangerwear. They also sell Frontier Classics and their own brand of clothing. I have purchased items including a frock coat made by them, which I have received many welcomed complements on. Their customer service is outstanding. I had an issue with a pair of bracers I purchased with them, which they replaced within three days. 

Providence Trading Company
Providence Trading Company is my company that was established in 2006. My wife Katherine makes made to order items including shirts, vests, trousers, and coats for customers who want the personal touch. Katherine has been making clothing and historical clothing for close to 20 years. Our brand of clothing ranges from the 17th century to the late 19th century. I also sell the Scully Leather brands of Wah Maker and Rangewear. We sell a wide range of reenactment clothing and accessories. Most of our business is conducted locally through word of mouth

I prefer to have my clothing mad for me. Off the rack items are fine, but when you have a shirt made to fit it is understandably much better. However if you do not have the luxury of being married to a seamstress/tailor this can be quite expensive. 

Besides the above mentioned and recommended companies there are a lot of others on the internet that with a quick search anyone can find.


No comments:

Post a Comment